11/29/12

Loving Myself a Beginner's Guide

Learning to love myself has been a pre occupation of mine since a very early age.
A point of crisis was age 14. My disliking myself was at my own all time high. I cried when ever I looked in the mirror. I was heart broken by the image staring back at me.
I was in my first  year in high school and my last year.
I had no friends.
I got my matches out and went in to my mothers drawer and took her couple of her bobby pins.
They where metal and I got them very hot with the flame of the matches and I held it to the flesh of my fore arm.The pain brought tears to my eyes.Yet there was some thing satisfying about it.
I believed at the time that physical pain would erase my  emotional pain.
Some girls took long baths or polished there toe nails and I did this.
I knew it was wrong and abnormal but that didnt matter to me. 
I was in a strange mental state. I thought the burns where beautiful. I thought I was making a bracelet for myself that never needed polishing.
The bobby pin burns where nearly white and puffy against the redness of the surounding skin.
I took deep deep breaths with each press against the skin. But I found it pleasurable.
Eventually it led to buying cigarettes and lighting them and holding them against my arm. The pin was a little intense but I found I had a pretty high pain thresh hold.I tried smoking them but did not get much from it.
I remember being with a college boy and he asked me was I a sadist or a masochist. I didnt know what the words meant and I asked my dad and told him the question the boy asked me.He got a very confused expression and he got angry so I looked up the words in a dictionary.
Apparently there was a name for this. 
I wanted scars. I wanted scars to show in the future that my life had been pain full. So I put rubbery tape on them infection will cause deeper scarring.

This was so many years ago in another life. 
You could smoke back then in places. I lifted my sleeve and showed my new friends what I was up to.
We hung out. And drank. I was drunk one night when I grabbed a hand full of napkins and put them on the table with my friends and started a table top fire. They stared and the nice manager came and extinguished it with out asking me to leave or even scolding me/us. He was young himself and always smiled to us. I usally got the right ppl and took what ever they offered as long as it was free.
Mostly they where pot and the first couple times it did a job on my head and I got suspicious and paranoid. Later on it relaxed me but I didnt feel any need for it. Coke was offered at bars and all it did was make me talk a mile a minute.The only chemical consoling I got was alcohol.
Im glad that I never sought mental peace any more from pains and burns As I grew up.
My arms are marked up but when I am real tanned its very hard to see them but maybe it has the purpose of reminding me to like myself a little more.


2 comments:

Gledwood said...

I used to hate myself too at school. Recently I managed to get back in touch with this girl who really hated me when we were in the same class as teenagers and she sent me this lovely really sweet apology for her behaviour... I was so touched to get something back saying basically how ashamed she was to have been so cruel to somebody she described as quiet and shy and kind. (I don't recall specifically ever being nice or kind, but I wasn't horrible to anyone either, so I spose that's what she meant...)... anyway it was really nice to get this message back.

BeverlyBabe: I've written you a long comment back chez moi but there is a purpose and a point to this all... I'm doing some informal research for this book I want to write about depression and mood disorders and I'm wondering what precise symptoms you might have had when you had "Unipolar Depressive Disorder"... (whatever posh name they gave it)... I suppose this meant you were prone to depression and that such depression came back so you had at least a couple of episodes over the course of your life...? Is that right?

You asked whether my depressed mood was ever reactive to circumstance, so that if something good happened I felt even slightly better for a bit? Well, as I recall, when I was at the relatively mild end of the spectrum I seem to recall that if something good happened then yes I did feel a bit better for a short while... was this true for you too?

Also when a person is really depressed usually their sleep is badly fucked up. I tend to sleep for way too long... do you have great difficulties getting off to sleep? Or staying asleep? Or do you wake ultra-early feeling like living crap..? And if so, does your mood, when you're that badly depressed, ever seem to improve as the day goes on?

Do you ever get intense feelings of guilt? Or hear voices? Or get anything they might call "psychotic symptoms"...? I used to get this thing where across my rubbish-strewn room I'd glance at something like a creased teeshirt or a crumpled carrier bag and see faces with evil expressions in these objects. That happened to me a LOT. I'm wondering... did that ever used to happen to you too...? If so, did you attach "meaning" of any sort to it?... if so, what meaning?

If you don't want to reply in my comments, you can leave a more private and personal message at my email:

hammynutter@lycos.com

but if you DO email, you wouldn't mind alerting me... you can leave a comment at a really old blog post and I WILL get it because my blog is set up to let me know when somebody comments even at something posted months or years ago ~~ the comments go through moderation so I'm definitely alerted.

I'm definitely interested in different people's differing experiences of depression, and what might have caused it... how the illness ran its course and how, eventually, it burned itself out...

so please RSVP I'm fascinated to know!

Bev said...

people's differing experiences of depression, and what might have caused it..
I think I caused my depression the day I was born.
Knowing you where not wanted to begin with adds a little salt and vinegar to the chemistry.
When your the last of six your introduction to the family may not be joyfull.

Best Blogger Tips